Vacancy: Technical Adviser, Inclusive Development Programme
Jun 30, 2017, 11:49 AM | Job opportunities
CBM is looking for a technical expert with a deep understanding of the social and political dynamics in northern Kosovo and an established record working to strengthen civil society and democratic governance. The Technical Advisor will be responsible for leading implementation of a key component of the three-year Inclusive Development Programme, jointly delivered by UN-Habitat, PAX and CBM.
Within the framework of the Inclusive Development Programme, all 7 municipalities in northern Kosovo signed Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with UN-Habitat and PAX in which they commit to working toward “increasing local government transparency, responsiveness and accountability through civil society mobilization and public dialogue”. Beginning in 2017, CBM will support implementation of this commitment by enabling municipalities to develop frameworks for citizen participation and consultation called Citizen Participation Plans, or CPPs. CPPs will put citizens at the centre of policymaking, ensuring that they participate in or are consulted on all aspects of policy formulation, planning, implementation and monitoring.
The Technical Advisor will be responsible for working to identify a designated focal point for citizen participation in each of 5 municipalities, help each focal point to prepare a formal plan for development of a CPP in an agreed timeframe, provide the focal points with capacity development support as needed, and ensure robust engagement of civil society throughout the process.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience promoting citizen participation and consultation in governance processes, a track record of building effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders (especially elected officials and civil servants at local level), sharp analytical capabilities, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills. S/he possesses extensive civil society and political contacts in the region, but has a reputation for independence.
The Technical Advisor will report to CBM’s Project Manager. This appointment is for an initial period of four months, but may be extended for the three-year period of programme implementation 2018-2020, depending on performance.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Technical Advisor’sduties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Leading development of effective working relationships with municipal elected officials and civil servants, in support of assigned project actions contributing to establishment of Citizen Participation Plans in 7 northern Kosovo municipalities
- Coordinating the advocacy and technical advisory effort of civil society stakeholders in relation to citizen participation and consultation at local level
- Representing CBM and the Inclusive Development Programme in interactions with relevant municipal government, civil society, national government, and international stakeholders
- Producing original research, policy recommendations, and other knowledge products relevant to citizen participation and consultation at local level
- Ensuring smooth integration of assigned project actions within the broader framework of the Inclusive Development Programme
- Identifying risks to the implementation of assigned project actions, communicating such risks to CBM Executive Director and project partners and any other parties involved, and drafting and implementing a risk management and containment strategy
- Continuously mapping and analyzing strategic opportunities for advocacy related to assigned project actions, contributing to and participating in relevant local and international lobby and advocacy activities
- Demonstrated experience promoting citizen participation and consultation in governance processes
- Proven track record of building effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders (especially elected officials and civil servants at local level)
- Sharp analytical capabilities, including the ability to apply conflict analysis and political economy analysis tools
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to author a diverse array of knowledge products, including research papers and policy recommendations
- Experience in management of large- and medium-sized projects in the community or international development sectors preferred
- Up-to-date and deep understanding of social and political dynamics in northern Kosovo, extensive contacts with civil society and political actors in the region (but a reputation for independence and political neutrality)
- Able to work independently and responsibly under pressure, and as a member of broad and diverse teams
- Recognized academic degree, preferably in a relevant field
- Professional-level fluency in English and Serbian is essential; fluency in Albanian an asset
The applicant may submit the CV and Motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, latest on 7th July, 2017 at 16:00. CBM holds the right to not invite all the applicants for the interview and it is based in Mitrovica/ë.